© H. Jurgen Combs
LISTSERVS serve interest groups on the net; for example, if you
are interested in middle level education, you my join the middle level list server.
Members send messages to other members of the list using e-mail; messages can include
"help" questions, request for information, or just general sharing of
information on the topic served by the listserv. There are rules of "netiquette"
which should be followed, otherwise you my be "flamed". It is best to check the
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) if in doubt or to watch the exchange for a while to
observe the rules.
Subscribing to LISTSERVS is quite simple:
- Once you know the name of the listserv, send a message to the
LISTSERV site (not the group itself) requesting your inclusion.
- On the "to" line put the name of the address; it will
look something like his: firstname.lastname@example.org - - this is the listserv serving
middle level educators. Please note that the main address is always listserv followed by
- Leave the subject line blank.
- Be sure to turn off any signature inclusion in your e-mail
message, otherwise the computer will try to interpret the lines of your signature as
commands. You may need to check your e-mail documentation to figure out how to turn off
the signature line.
- In the document, the message you type is generally something like
SUBSCRIBE "LISTSERV YOUR FIRST NAME LAST
NAME" (omitting the quotation marks); thus a person wishing to subscribe to the
middle level listserv would type: SUBSCRIBE Middle-L John
Smith; please note that the name
is not your log-in name.
- There may be hundreds or thousands of subscribers to listservs so
you should be prepared to receive numerous messages.
- If you find that you are receiving too many mail messages, you may
- terminate your membership by sending a message to POST OFFICE and in the
message area type "unsubscribe (or signoff) name of listserv". The person
wishing to terminate membership on the middle level listserv would write "signoff
middle-l" omitting the quotation marks. Some listservs require that you add your name
on the same line.
- get a digest of the messages by requesting "set (name of
- turning it off temporarily with "set (name of listserv)
- get regular mailings with "set (name of listserv)
- again, remember to "turn off" your signature when you
send any messages to the post office of your listserv.
If you find interesting listserv addresses, please let me know
and I will add them to the listserv page so that others may access the information without
having to do the search. Please send me the information that is shown in the chart sample
LISTSERVS OF INTEREST TO EDUCATORS
|AREA OF INTEREST
||NAME OF LISTSERV
|Middle level education
You may access some of the listservs which might be of interest
to educators on the following page.
send your suggestions.
last updated on
25 July 2008
© H. Jurgen Combs